The January transfer window opens in a matter of days and speculation is heating up about potential deals. Check out the latest gossip below and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Spurs monitoring Ramos
The Spain international’s contract with the European giants comes to an end in the summer of 2021, which has plenty of clubs around the continent on alert to the possibility of bringing him in for free.
If Ramos leaves Madrid it is likely there will be extreme competition, but Spurs aren’t afraid to put their name in the hat, according to the report.
12.00 GMT: Diego Costa has left Atletico Madrid after the striker’s contract was terminated by mutual consent.
The club announced on Tuesday that Costa’s deal — which only had six months left to run, until June 2021 — had been rescinded. It means Costa will be able to join a new club on a free transfer, while Atletico significantly reduce their wage bill, allowing them to reinforce the squad during the January window.
Costa, 32, re-joined Atletico from Chelsea in January 2018 for €66m after spending three-and-a-half seasons at Stamford Bridge.
Arkadiusz Milik has been linked with a move to Atletico to replace him, with Napoli reportedly asking €15m to let the striker leave next month.
11.48 GMT: On first glance, Joan Jordan sounds like he should be a hero in Marvel comic. Or at least the mild-mannered alter-ego of an eventual hero who saves the day.
Arsenal could do with a superhero right now, given their poor start to the Premier League season, and Sevilla midfielder Jordan is on their radar, according to The Sun.
The 26-year-old has actually been watched by the Gunners for the past few years, while the report reads: “Sevilla have put a £55m buy-out clause on the all-action midfielder but the La Liga side are ready to listen to offers of around £32m.”
11.03 GMT: Previously linked with Tottenham in the summer, Eintracht Frankfurt striker Bas Dost is moving to Belgium in January.
It’s official! ? #WelkomBas
— Club Brugge KV (@ClubBrugge) December 29, 2020
10.33 GMT: Chelsea wing-back Marcos Alonso could join Atletico Madrid on loan in January, according to AS.
The newspaper says it has confirmed reports in The Independent that talks are already underway between Alonso, 30, and the La Liga club.
The defender is keen to leave Stamford Bridge after receiving few opportunities under coach Frank Lampard, with his last Premier League appearance coming in September.
Atletico are looking to strengthen at left-back to provide competition for Renan Lodi, while Alonso would suit the 3-5-2 system that Diego Simeone has often favoured this season.
10.10 GMT: Arsenal and Tottenham have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig midfielder Marcel Sabitzer.
Gab and Juls discuss the possibility of Marcel Sabitzer joining a Premier League club.
09.17 GMT: Isco has “chosen Sevilla” as his next club, Diario AS reports — but the Real Madrid playmaker will be on the move next summer, rather than in January, with coach Zinedine Zidane unwilling to weaken his squad midway through the season.
According to AS, Isco wants to link up with his former boss with Madrid and Spain Julen Lopetegui, “the coach who has gotten the best football out of the Malaga-born player.”
The 28-year-old’s contract at the Bernabeu runs until 2022, but the newspaper claims Madrid would be willing to accept between €15m-€20m for a player who has only started three league games this season.
08.49 GMT: West Ham captain Mark Noble admits that he does not know if teammate Declan Rice will stay at the club amid long-term interest from Chelsea.
Sources told ESPN’s James Olley in the summer that Chelsea manager Frank Lampard had targeted the midfielder, and that interest has remained since.
Noble told talkSPORT: “He’s still learning his trade, he’ll get much better with experience. “I’m hoping it’s here [at West Ham] but in this game you never know. I’m sure he’ll be a top, top player and an even better player in years to come.”
Manchester United have also been linked with the 21-year-old, who Noble believes can be a future England captain.
“With Dec I don’t have to say too much,” he said. “He’s such a great kid, got a great family, he’s a top, top player. “There are two or three things that I’ve been on him about in the last two seasons to change in what he does. “I do believe that if he progresses then he’ll captain England one day. That’s the sort of player he is. “He’s such a level-headed kid. You’ve got to remember he’s still only 21.”
08.00 GMT: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said that Manchester United have every intention of extending Edinson Cavani‘s contract at Old Trafford.
Cavani signed a one-year deal in October with the option of another season — and the 33-year-old has impressed Solskjaer so much that the club are already exploring the possibility of extending his stay.
“At the moment, it looks like he has a few years left in him so I wouldn’t say anything else,” Solskjaer said. “He has made a great impact when he has come here.
“Let’s focus on improving everyone but he has a few years left in him. He is so meticulous and professional, his habits and everything about him, shows why he has had the career he has. Even at the age he is now he is one of the fittest players we have got.”
Cavani has scored four goals in 13 appearances since arriving from Paris Saint-Germain. He has been restricted to just four starts while he builds up his fitness after a summer spent training on his own but Solskjaer said the Uruguay international, the latest to take on the club’s No. 7 shirt, is more than just an impact substitute.
“He is definitely a starter,” he said. “You don’t classify a player of that quality as anything else.
“He will probably start more games than he will not start. The first thing he asked me when I spoke to him was if he could wear the No. 7. When you think of the history of his career and the experience he has had, his personality from the chat I had with him and when I watched him before, it wasn’t in doubt that he could handle the No. 7 shirt.”
Gab Marcotti and Matteo Bonetti say the Serie A title is not a competition between just the Milan clubs.
PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)
Milan want Zaha
Milan sit top of the Serie A table by a point and are keen to stay there, seeing the January transfer window as an opportunity to help them solidify that position.
They view the Ivory Coast international as another key piece of the puzzle and have been impressed by his performances in a central role.
The belief is that the Palace man, who scored in Palace’s 1-1 draw with Leicester on Monday, can provide the firepower to help Milan earn their first Scudetto since 2010-11.
Talk swirling around Costa
– Sassuolo are willing to listen to offers for 21-year-old striker Gianluca Scamacca, reports Calciomercato. The Italy U21 international has impressed so much during a loan spell with Genoa that AC Milan are considering signing him in the summer. Sassuolo will reportedly start from a base valuation of €17m and will discuss the idea of recalling the striker from Genoa to then let him go if an offer comes in January.
– Lyon have not given up on the idea of signing Islam Slimani from Leicester City, reports Foot Mercato. There are massive doubts around Memphis Depay‘s future, while Moussa Dembele is out through injury, meaning the French outfit is keen on signing another attacker. Slimani has played just 19 minutes of football for the Foxes so far this term, but that has not put Lyon off moving for the Algerian.