The January transfer window might seem like a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Bale coy on future as decision would ’cause chaos’
Gareth Bale says he has already made a decision on his future ahead of an upcoming meeting with Real Madrid as, according to Fabrizio Romano, the Spanish side are intent on transferring numerous players in the summer.
Bale has spent the season on loan at Tottenham Hotspur and, after scoring two goals in their final game of the season, said that his mind is made up. However, he will wait until after the European Championship to reveal his decision.
The 31-year-old Bale commented on his future following Spurs’ final day victory over Leicester City, stating: “I know what I am doing but it will just cause chaos if I say anything.”
Bale made 20 appearances in the Premier League this season for Spurs , 10 of which were starts, and he took his league tally to 11 goals with his brace on Sunday against the Foxes. The result confirmed Tottenham would play European football next season in the new Europa Conference League.
Before Bale makes his decision, there is the Euros and a chance to impress in a Wales shirt. At the 2016 tournament in France, he helped guide his nation to a semifinal finish.
“It just has to happen after the Euros. I know what I’m doing but it’ll just cause chaos if I say anything now, ” Bale said postmatch. “I am not thinking about anything other than Wales.”
Tottenham reportedly have first refusal on signing Bale permanently if he were to leave Madrid, however both clubs are waiting to clarify their managerial situations before beginning conversations.
09.43 BST: Paris Saint-Germain’s president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has denied that Kylian Mbappe could be on his way out of the club after the player’s latest comments sparked more speculation about a move to Real Madrid.
Speaking after PSG had missed out on the Ligue 1 title, Mbappe — whose current contract expires in 2022 — told Canal+ that “what I want is to win, to feel that I’m in a place where I can do that, that there’s a solid project around me.”
“No, not on your life,” Al-Khelaifi told the channel, when asked if Mbappe had played his last game for the club. “Kylian is a Paris Saint-Germain player and he’ll stay at Paris Saint-Germain.”
09.00 BST: Luis Suarez has confirmed that he’ll be playing at Atletico Madrid next season after his goals fired them to their first La Liga title in seven years.
Suarez scored the winner — his 21st league goal of the campaign — in Atletico’s 2-1 comeback victory at Real Valladolid on Saturday, a result that clinched the title ahead of local rivals Real Madrid.
The 34-year-old agreed a two-year contract at Atletico when he joined from Barcelona last September, but sources told ESPN a clause had been included in the deal which would have allowed him to leave on a free transfer this summer.
“Yes, yes, for sure,” Suarez told Movistar on Sunday evening, when asked if he would continue at the club in 2021-22.
He added: “My wife is the one who had to go through the situation I experienced last summer with me, taking the decision to leave. A change is difficult for a family, with kids who had their lives all set up… She knows how hard I worked to turn the situation around and show that I could still play at a good level.”
– Juventus could allow midfielder Aaron Ramsey to leave this summer, according to Calciomercato. The 30-year-old, who has featured 22 times in the league this season, still has two years left on his contract at the club. The Wales international has suffered with injuries throughout the season that have meant sporadic appearances in a tough campaign for Juventus.
– Barcelona are going to bring back Emerson from Real Betis for preseason before they decide on the player’s future. Mundo Deportivo reports that the Catalan outfit would have to pay Real Betis €9 million to complete the player’s transfer to Barca — €6m of which was the initial fee from Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro, and €3m for his loan and initial experience at Betis. The concern for Barca is surrounding the fee and if they can raise the current funds to do so.
– Lazio are ahead of Brighton & Hove Albion in the race for Colombian striker Rafa Borre this summer, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The 25-year-old’s contract at River Plate, where he scored eight goals in 13 appearances in the league this season, is set to expire this summer. Lazio are reportedly the player’s first choice with an agreement “close” between the two parties despite interest from Brighton, Celta Vigo, and Feyenoord. He has previous experience in Europe having joined the Buenos Aires club from Atletico Madrid back in 2017.
– Georginio Wijnaldum is set to leave Liverpool this summer, telling Sky Sports after the Reds’ secured a Champions League spot on the final day with a win over Crystal Palace: “I’m fighting against my tears right now… I hoped to play many more years for the club but unfortunately things went different.” The 30-year-old is out of contract in the summer, and has been strongly linked with a free transfer to Barcelona.
– Barcelona are set to move on Miralem Pjanic this summer according to Calciomercato with Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, and Juventus all rumoured destinations for the midfielder. Joan Laporta is tasked with reducing the Catalan giant’s wage bill this summer with reported debt rising and much needed outgoings in the upcoming window. The Bosnian has only managed 619 minutes in a Barca shirt this season, completing a full 90 minutes only once in La Liga. PSG and Chelsea are said to be options to consider whilst the report says Spanish media are reporting a potential exchange for Rodrigo Bentancur which would see Pjanic move back to Juventus.